Formation of the Society
A meeting was held on Thursday, 26th February 2004 at which it was agreed to form a Radwinter Society. Eight people attended this inaugural meeting and it was agreed that, although the stimulus for the Society was the recording of Radwinter’s historical records, the objects of the society should also be widened to include other activities in Radwinter’s interests, such as the logging of footpaths or organisation of future anniversary celebrations. A constitution was agreed subject to adoption at the first General meeting. This was framed to allow for registration with the Charity Commission should the Society’s turnover reach the statutory limit of £1000, a situation which would arise should a grant be obtained for the purchase of a computer and software, for example.
Conservation and Archiving
It was initially agreed that a Sort Day would be arranged to allow for the pre-sorting of the existing records to avoid having to store together unrelated items or those widely differing in size. However, it has now been decided to add a separate filing reference which can be changed at a later date enabling items to be moved around while still keeping track of their location. Consequently we will move straight to the recording stage, with volunteers recording a selection of documents using a simple form in their own homes or working in pairs.
The Radwinter Recorder has put together a funding proposal for the Uttlesford Local History Recorders Database, and we will be applying for funds when the committee has approved it. The specification for the database has been prepared and a pre-entry form developed so that the process of entering the Radwinter archives onto the forms ready for computer entry can start.
A very useful conservation-training day was held at Saffron Walden Museum, courtesy of the Curator, Carolyn Wingfield and Senior Conservator, Lynn Morrison. Detailed notes are being prepared to help with the conservation and storage of the Radwinter archives.
It being some 20 years since sound recordings were last made in Radwinter, it has been agreed that the recollections of inhabitants should again be recorded. If you have memories of former times in Radwinter, and are prepared to share them with us, do let me know. Alternatively, if you would like to be part of the recording team, you will be most welcome. We have obtained guidelines for recorders from Essex Record Office and they will be available as soon as we have transcribed them.
The Parish Council has obtained a definitive map of the footpaths in an around Radwinter. Members of the Radwinter Society expressed their willingness to provide the arms and legs that could help turn this into a Radwinter Walks booklet.
Among further projects under review is the preparation of a presentation on Radwinter School. Some of the material has been researched and it is hoped to have the project well under way later this year.
Copies of Radwinter 1900 have now all been distributed and a reprint is desirable, both for sale and for new residents. We are currently obtaining quotations. If you have spotted anything in the current edition that is wrong or would like to suggest small additions, please let me know.
Tim Pratt is working on the publication of the Works of Richard Drake MA, Rector of Radwinter from 1638 to 1667. Drake was pulled from the pulpit by puritans and only returned to the Radwinter living at the restoration of the Monarchy. He left a diary and an autobiography, both in Latin. Does anybody know of a good Latin scholar who could complete the translation?
Karl Weschke, who was a German prisoner of war at Radwinter from 1945 to 1948, has an exhibition of his paintings and drawings showing at Tate, St. Ives until 9th May. He is the most distinguished living ‘Cornish’ painter and has been living in an isolated house on the tip of Cape Cornwall for more than 40 years. Karl was born in 1925 in Taubenpreskeln, Gera, in the province of Thüringen in Germany.
From The Times, March 20th 1832
At an off-hand farm, called Godfreys, in the parish of Radwinter on the 8th instant, some evil-disposed person or persons entered the stable, and there mixed a quantity of poison with some clover hay, which was cut into chaff for the cattle, by which means two fine bullocks were poisoned, belonging to Mr. Robert Giblin, the proprietor of the farm.
Contact: Michael Southgate, Village History Recorder
Telephone 01799 599478
Telephone 01799 599478
Archived reports list